Saturday, June 16, 2007

Montenegro signs up to US occupation

The actual headline is 'US and Montenegro sign military pact', but seeing as America gets to build bases and deploy troops to Montenegro, and Montenegro doesn't get to do the same in America, its not a partnership as much as it is the furthering of a colonial and imperial agenda. The story seems to have passed me by while I was revising. It's hardly unexpected though, yet another Serbian land being first ripped from Serbia, then occupied by the US.

The Status of Forces Agreement was signed by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Montenegrin President Filip Vujanovic, who was making his first official visit to Washington since his nation broke from Serbia and gained independence in 2006.
Dr Rice said the agreement "establishes a basis for United States military personnel to operate in Montenegro for mutually agreed activities".
"Mr President, we share your aspirations for a Euro-Atlantic future for Montenegro and the United States and Montenegro are working towards that goal," she said during a joint press conference with Mr Vujanovic.
The State Department revealed yesterday the two governments had also signed last month a so-called "Article 98" agreement, a controversial bilateral immunity deal that would shield US troops and nationals stationed in Montenegro from possible prosecution by the International Criminal Court (ICC).
The United States has signed Article 98 agreements with more than 100 countries despite questions about the international legality of the pacts.

Read the rest here
Technorati tags;
united states montenegro military pact


Post a Comment

<< Home